Pages

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Papa John's The Works Pizza


Papa John's, The Works

So I had a busy day and as it's been a couple weeks since I had pizza, the time to get some was now. As I'd done delivery last time, I thought I'd try delivery again, though from a different place. Which means another chain, namely Papa John's, as I flat-out refuse to have Pizza Hut. (The grease content in Pizza Hut crust literally causes me to vomit).*

Rodney always called Papa John's "computer pizza". Rodney told me how he'd once stopped at a Papa John's and the employee behind the counter had much difficulty in placing his order. There were issues with the till/computer and thus, issues with placing Rodney's order. Rodney didn't understand why the computer issues had anything to do with his being able to place an order.

That said, I decided to have some Papa John's as I hadn't had their pizza since I worked at the meat packing plant way back in the day. As in more than a decade ago.

Googling them, I found that I could place an order online. "Well, that should be easy," I thought to myself. 30 minutes later, the order was placed. Computer pizza? Uh, yeah.

The email I received told me that delivery would be within 40-50 minutes. So I planned my laundry accordingly as I have to leave the apartment to use the community laundry.

And I'll be damned if the pizza was delivered in 20 minutes! That's the fastest delivery I've ever had in my life! At least that made up for the lengthy ordering time. However, if you rely on the delivery time to be accurate, the surprisingly early delivery time could be problematic. I was fortunate in that I had recently returned to the apartment after putting a load into the washer.

Anyway, here's the box the pizza came in (with coupons for more pizza and discounts to Wild Rivers in Irvine) and the pie itself. I'd forgotten about how Papa John's includes their special sauce and a pepperoncini. I do like the pepperoncini.


So let's take a closer look at the pizza. Hmm...


Pulling a slice from the pie, there was no cheesy-gooeyness of the pie trying to keep a sibling slice in place. The slice was removed extremely easily. Looking at the slice, I noticed something. The bottom of pizza, that crust, is exceptionally thin while the "handle" crust is quite thick.


I have no problem eating the pepperoncini with my slice, or two, even though it's likely someone handling money also handles the addition of garlic sauce containers and pepperoncini's to the pizza boxes. That's ok, we need to build up our immunities somehow.

What bothers me is the ingredients of the "special" sauce. It's hideous. 15 years ago, I would've pealed the seal and dunked my crust in this oily goo. Not today. I suggest you read it before you eat it.


$13.60 plus $5 toke for the driver.

*I was an employee at Waldenbooks in North Kent Mall, which I understand is now a Lowe's.  I came in way early (for mall time) to let the carpet cleaner in: 7 a.m.  Once I let them in, I had a slice of leftover Pizza Hut that I'd saved for breakfast.  Within 15 minutes I'd upchucked that greasy slice.  It doesn't take much imagination to see how unhappy the carpet cleaner guys were or how I wish another person would come on shift so I could go to KMart and get a toothbrush and toothpaste to wash my pukey mouth.


0 comments: