Pages

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Stater Bros. New York Style Hot Italian Sausage Links



I'd have sworn Stater Bros. offered Sweet Italian sausage, but when I went there to pick up sausage specifically for the Number 1 Best Lasagna Recipe, they didn't have any available. That might be because I go to the smallest Stater's in the SoCal area. So I opted for Stater's Hot New York Style Italian Sausage.

The links were fresh and the ingredient statement not at all scary:

Ingredients: pork, water, seasonings (salt, dextrose, lemon extract, spice, spice extractives), sodium lactate.

A note about ingredient statements if I haven't mentioned it once before: many sites tell you that you shouldn't eat food that consists of ingredients in the statement you cannot pronounce. Personally, I can pronounce a lot of the components in many food items, and thus try to stick with foods consisting of the smallest list/statement possible. I think that's a better way to go anyhow. The more crap is listed, the more crap you'll be ingesting. Easy enough.

This ingredient statement essentially consists of pig, water, seasonings, and sodium lactate. Sodium lactate is used as a preservative/antimicrobial. And while you might say, "oh gee, golly, preservatives are bad," notice it is listed last in the statement (which means of all ingredients it is the least in quantity) and that it's the only preservative.

While I'm gun-shy about sausage in the first place due to my meat-packing plant background, I'm ready and willing to eat this sausage.

Available at Stater Bros. grocery stores for : $2.50/lb. Unfortunately for you East-Coasters, Stater's isn't out there.


3 comments:

Sam loopeysam@aol.com said...

My husband is not supposed to eat the organs of animals, I thought all sausage was made of all sorts of organs and intrails & stomach. Could you please tell me if I am wrong?

loopeysam@aol.com

The Cook said...

Sam, there is no requirement for a manufacturer to list organs so it is possible hearts may be included. However, in my meat-packing experience, you can trust that no entrails or stomach are being used in the United States.

Anonymous said...

I like to know if Flex cards Medicare is accepted