Pages

Monday, September 13, 2010

Comte Cheese

I went to The Meat House for some Gruyere and some Canadian bacon, hoping to score small quantities of each. Otherwise, I could buy 50 lbs of each from Costco. Just kidding, I'd already been to Costco so I'd be subject to paying Ralph's prices.

Anyway, The Meat House was out of each of my requests. I wondered how many people in my city are making the Cauliflower, Cheese and Bacon dish I was planning to make the same week I was planning to make it?

Nevermind, the guys wanted to know what I was planning with this Gruyere, a possible potatoes au gratin? After quickly explaining that a cauliflower, Canadian bacon, spinachy, cheesy thing was in the works, I was offered an, "ah, sounds good" and a substitute of Comte.

(Now I know that Comte, which you'd think would be pronounced Com-tay, is pronounced Con-tay. It's a French thing. And if I had it in me, I'd put the appropriate little mark over the E each time I typed it, but that's too much labor).

Having never tried this, I inquired, "How well does it melt?" I was offered a sample, and oh, Lordy, Lordy, Gordy's 40, that cheese was go-oood. Firm, yet smooth and nutty, sort of a cross between gruyere and Parmesan. My cheese repertoire is not at all near expansive, but that's what it made me think of so I requested a quarter pound straight away.

Priced at $13.99/lb, it's a good thing I only wanted a third pound. That's what they gave me and I rolled with it.

I am starting to wonder what the deal is with these guys giving me more cheese than I want. I like to think they are suggesting I fatten up a bit as my hip bones are only too prominent beneath the fat roll.


And look at this 0.31 lb of lovely. Welcome to my hips, you Con-tay, you!


Comte cheese, an easy-to-melt cheese, priced at $13.99/lb at your nearest The Meat House.

0 comments: