Pages

Friday, September 17, 2010

Ga Kho, Extremely Tame

Tame Ga Kho over steamed white rice

I started making Ga Kho two nights ago and found bugs in my rice. The chicken, typically allowed to marinate for 30 minutes, was left to marinate in the very small quantity of fish sauce and sugar since then.

Tonight I allowed that chicken to come to room temperature, stirring it occasionally.

I heated a couple tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet and added the marinated chicken drums and thighs to cook for three minutes.

Meanwhile, I prepared the caramelization mixture of sugar, fish sauce, vinegar, water, garlic, fresh ginger, and scallions. By the time the mixture was prepared, it'd been three minutes. A third of the mixture was poured over the chicken. About 8 minutes later, the chicken was flipped.


The remaining 2/3's of the mixture was added to the chicken, brought back to boiling, and allowed to reduce to about half, within 15 minutes.


Meanwhile, I prepped the jalapeno and green onion.

And this is where I pulled a total boob move. I removed ALL of the seeds from the jalapeno. Don't ask me WTF I was thinking. I have no good answer.

Before I knew it, the sauce was reduced to less than half. The jalapenos and green onions were added to the chicken.

Man alive, it looks gorgeous!


I didn't bother prettying it up by transferring it to a bowl and cracking pepper over it. I simply dished some into a bowl over steamed white rice. If I'm going to get gooey-faced-and-fingered, why any pretense?

While it tasted good, it was lacking spicy heat, which was disappointing. Why did I do that to the jalapeno?! Because sometimes, I'm a boob.

0 comments: