Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Individual Pizza on Nine Grain Bread


Individual Pizza on Nine Grain Bread

Tonight, I needed to make something for dinner quick. Digging through the fridge, I saw some SunFlour Nine Grain bread slices, some leftover sauce from that Number One Lasagna, three-quarters of a bell pepper from the quesadilla, onion from when I made a taco, some cheese...that means pizza!

To achieve a crispy "crust", I buttered both sides of one slice of bread and toasted it in a medium skillet (large enough to prevent the bread from sweating and getting soggy) over medium heat.


Once flipped, I reduced the flame to medium-low and immediately spooned some sauce over the toasted bread and sprinkled the onion and bell pepper over the sauce. A nice helping of cheese was then spread over the vegetables.


At this point, while waiting for the cheese to melt, I was hoping like hell the bread wasn't becoming blackened on the bottom.

I don't have a decent final photo because I was afraid the crust would become wet if allowed to sit for a photo shoot. I'll tell you though, this "pizza" was spot on! Crusty, warm, cheesy, slightly meaty from the sauce, the vegetables warm but still crunchy...

2 comments:

Laura said...

Ooh, I love the idea of putting it on bread! Don't know why I haven't thought of that, since it's similar to an English muffin pizza.

The Cook said...

I know, right? I'd never thought of doing it before either. While it was good, English muffins are a better medium. They have that nice crusty, chewy quality. However, bread does work in a pinch!