Pages

Monday, September 13, 2010

Pasta Shells with Cauliflower, Bacon and Spinach, Revisited


While it looks sort of goofy and not exactly wonderfully tasty, you have to trust, it is.

This is another one of those dishes that was memorable to me after I'd made it the first time, so much so that I was compelled to make it again, like those crab cakes. The first time I made this pasta dish, I said I wouldn't change a thing.  And technically, I haven't, though there are minor differences: small pasta shells instead of medium shells and Comte cheese instead of Gruyere.

Pasta Shells with Cauliflower, Bacon and Spinach

1/4 c panko
3 tsp olive oil, divided
6 oz. small pasta shells (2 1/2 c)
1 head cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets (~4 c)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/3 c diced Canadian bacon (2 oz.)
10-oz fresh baby spinach
1 c shredded Comte cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Toast panko in 1 teaspoon of the oil in small skillet over medium-low heat 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown, stirring constantly; remove from heat.


Cook pasta with cauliflower according to pasta package directions. Drain, reserving 2/3 cup cooking water.

Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Cook onion and bacon 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently.


Add spinach; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or just until wilted. Remove from heat.

Add pasta, cauliflower, reserved cooking water, cheese, salt and pepper to skillet; stir to coat well.


Whoops, almost forgot the cheese! Get that tossed in there.


Serve sprinkled with panko.



Yeah, this is a really awesome recipe.  There is a good quantity of vegetables in there plus just enough pasta to make a pasta person happy, and just enough pork to make any meat-lover swoon, and enough cheese to cause even a grumpy old coot to smile. It sure makes me smile. 
 
More than that, the cauliflower and pasta cook in the same pot, causing me to clap my hands with glee like a 6-year-old at Christmas. I'm sure Ed Begley would be proud.  I know I am. Most definitely going to make this again.
 
Cost:
  • panko: $0.50
  • small pasta shells: $0.33
  • cauliflower: $1.82 
  • onion: $0.25
  • Canadian bacon: $1
  • spinach: $1.59
  • Comte: $3.50

Total: $8.99 or $2.24 for each of four servings. This is not quite half what I spent last time, so I'd guess that on average, you'll pay about $3.25 for each serving.

0 comments: