Pages

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential



Since I won the iPad, a whole new world has been opened to me. TV shows, lightning speed web-browsing, movies, TV shows, insanely fast email-checking and junk-mail deleting, which in turn allows for more TV shows. Yes, I should be studying Korean rather than watching TV, but I justify this by the fact that there are NO COMMERCIALS on NetFlix TV. And I'm behind on TV by about 10 years. That is all the more reason to watch TV shows such as like No Reservations.

I'd heard of Anthony Bourdain, sure. I'd just never seen him or checked out his books, cookbook, non-fiction or fiction. The first couple episodes of No Reservations were just ok to me. I could take it or leave it. I kept watching, not because of the host, but because of the potential food I'd be able to view and the commentary regarding the food that would be unlike Andrew Zimmern's clamors to eat the most hideous thing simply for the sake of being able to say that he'll literally eat anything. He's sort of like the Crocodile Hunter of food. Poking it and prodding it and in general aggravating it. Until one day, that is.

What I came to learn about Bourdain is that while he comes across as simply crass, vulgar and exceptionally cocky with his smokin' an' drinkin' and language, the dude is pretty honest. Most impressive to me is he actually respects the food, the culture, and most importantly, his hosts. Bourdain is continuously a gracious guest with any company, always partaking in a meal and doing it without visibly cringing in the face of his hosts. Take the boar rectum, the scrambled-egg-in-coals, or seal episodes for example.

I haven't said anything everyone doesn't already know. Long story short, the dude grew on me. Now I find him quite attractive even with his narrow lanky body and too-big teeth. And 6'+ height, salt-and-pepper hair, genuine grin...

I finally picked up a copy of Kitchen Confidential. I found it at Book Off in Westminster. I read the first two chapters in my truck before leaving the mall parking lot. Bourdain writes as he speaks and it's hilarious with great flow, as if he's actually speaking/writing to me personally. And what's really funny is I can relate. Working in a kitchen, no matter what type, size or style, attracts the certain someones that he speaks of. Reading the book made me miss it.


Kitchen Confidential paperback, available used at Book Off, for $8.

0 comments: