Pages

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Eating at Costco

Today I went to Big Lots for worm bins. After, I had to get something from Costco, maybe something mundane like toilet paper. Before Costco-shopping, I opted for a super late breakfast/lunch of pizza and Coke.

I ordered, grabbed my slice, poured my Coke and asked a gent if the seat opposite him was open. He graciously offered me the seat. And I started chowing on my Combo pizza while slurping Coke, occasionally wiping my greasy chin, trying to get my grub on and done by the 6 p.m. closing time.

I'm not one to just ramble on to a stranger. And that's probably why I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of friends I have. I am just not into the social meet-and-greet. While not actually a conversationalist, the gent blathered on primarily with commentary regarding the people surrounding us, particularly the children and how loud they were. I just sort of thought about how these people were just trying to do their shopping and maybe the kids are excited about getting a slice. Loud happy kids are much better than loud miserable kids.

What got me though, was when he said something along the lines of, "And that's why I don't have a Costco card: just look at what I'd have to deal with to get my shopping done!"

Come again? Uh, I could not have heard that right. Dude deals with Costco parking lot traffic, vulture parking, long lines, and not-the-greatest outdoor seating for a slice of pizza, salad and Coke voluntarily, only to complain about the people and loud kids and isn't even there to shop at Costco? Say WHAT?

FYI, lunch is cheap at Costco. Apparently that's the biggest draw when it comes to Costco for some folks.
  • slice of combo: $1.99
  • soda: $0.59
Total: $2.81.

0 comments: