Pages

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Korean-Style Spicy Slaw


I selected this recipe to dress my Korean tacos. What I didn't realize was that I'd end up eating the slaw directly from the mixing bowl as I stood in the kitchen because it's so freaking good!

Korean-Style Spicy Slaw
from Week of Menus

1/2 head of cabbage, thinly shredded
2 Persian cucumbers, julienne
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
1/4 c chopped green onions
2 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped (optional)

Dressing
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp sesame seed
2 tbsp Korean red pepper flakes (gochugahloo-고추가루 )
1 tbsp crushed garlic tsp garlic powder
3 tbsp Vietnamese fish sauce
2 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp sesame oil

Mix all the ingredients of the dressing together. It'll get really thick and pasty.


Place the vegetables in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and carefully mix the dressing into the vegetable until combined. Serve.



This slaw is totally tip-top. I love it. Should I ever run into Joanne Choi, I will kiss her feet hand. The recipe took just minutes to put together and the julienne efforts, which I typically abhor as my knife skills suck, were worth it. English cucumber was a doable substitute for the Persian cucumber. And the garlic powder turned out to be a decent replacement of the crushed garlic. I was concerned about the garlic powder, but had used all of my fresh garlic to make the potatoes the other day.

Cost:

  • cabbage: $0.69
  • English cucumber quarter: $0.17
  • white onion half: $0.27
  • green onion: $0.33
  • cilantro: $0.12
Total: $1.58 plus a $1 SWAG for the dressing makes it $2.58 or $0.65 for each of four servings.


0 comments: