Pages

Sunday, November 28, 2010

PW's Roasted Garlic and New Potatoes


Roasted Garlic and New Potatoes served with PW's Pan-Fried Chops and steamed broccoli

PW's Roasted Garlic and New Potatoes
from The Pioneer Woman Cooks

20 small new potatoes
5-7 garlic bulbs
1/3-1/2 c olive oil
1/3-1/2 c Noilly Prat
Kosher salt, to taste
fresh ground black pepper, to taste

Quarter new potatoes and set on a large rimmed baking sheet. Lop off the very top of each garlic head and arrange the garlic throughout the potatoes.

Drizzle olive oil over the tops and bottoms of garlic as well as the potatoes; do the same with the wine.

Generously season the potatoes and garlic with salt and pepper. Toss potatoes to coat.

Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.

Remove foil and continue baking for 20 to 30 minutes until nice and golden.

After 20 minutes, the potatoes didn't look roasted enough. I tossed them around a bit and put them back in the oven for another 10 minutes.

Transfer potatoes into a large mixing bowl. Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves over the potatoes and toss to combine.

I'm not sure how I obtained the first of the two photos immediately above. That's how the potatoes really looked as opposed to the fake-light yellow-looking potatoes in the second other images.

The potatoes were awesome, an excellent side to accompany the chops. I think I'm in love with roasted garlic. It is so amazingly tasty. Reminds me of that time I made Roasted Potatoes and Green Beans that had the garlic butter I liked so much, except this time I didn't have green beans.

The chops and potatoes combo was nice in that I wasn't trying to utilize the oven for both main and side dish, a pair I'll certainly do again. The potatoes didn't require much in the way of prep and once in the oven it was pretty much out of mind, which allowed focus on prepping the chops and broccoli. 

Overall, a simple, yet delicious, side and meal. 

Cost:
  • red potatoes: $1.92
  • garlic: $0.30
  • oil, salt and pepper, SWAG: $0.50
Total: $2.72 or $0.68 per each of 4 servings. 


0 comments: