Pages

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Taco Jr.


I swung through a place called Taco Jr. for lunch/dinner on the way home. It's right down the street and around the corner, yet I've only had food from there once, shortly after moving into this apartment. That one time, I had tacos.

This time, I parked, walked to the order window and opted for the Chunky Pork Burrito. I wasn't sure how chunky pork would differ from carnitas, except for being chunky, but I was willing to find out. I stood around near the pick-up window taking glances at the food in front of the folks seated. FYI, Taco Jr. only has outdoor seating, though it is under an awning.

The burrito came with a Solo cup of salsa, two hot sauce packets and a few napkins.


A few bites in, I found the flavor to be okay, but I didn't particularly care for how "wet" the burrito internals were. Of course, there is some moisture to be expected in a burrito because otherwise it would suck as much as eating leather, but this burrito was exceptionally moist. I had to manipulate the way I handled it so as not to puncture the tortilla with a finger/thumb.


The pork was certainly chunky, but besides that, I'm not sure what differentiates the chunky pork from carnitas. In case there is cause to worry, chunky certainly didn't mean hard. The pork was easily bitten and tender to the teeth. Rice, lettuce, pork chunks, cheese and some saucy stuff was present in each bite.

Really, I guess I expected the burrito to be more spicy. Being so moist already, I didn't want to add salsa or hot sauce, but some of one or the other was necessary for some spicy kick. If you are a die-hard for spicy Mexican, this wouldn't be a good one for you to choose.

I'll have to try the carnitas burrito soon for comparison. And I'll certainly revisit the tacos as I remember them being quite enjoyable what with the crispy fried corn tortillas.

$6.01 including both the burrito and Coke on the AmEx.


0 comments: