Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Taqueria el Granjenal

Kim's pork tacos from Taqueria el Granjenal

I recently read that this local Mexican taco place, Taqueria el Granjenal, carries Korean tacos. As today is my birthday, and I'm coming down with a cold so could some food with a special kick, I decided to get myself some interesting new grub. I've never had a Korean taco before.

I went down 19th Street until I found the place and quickly turned in as it's on a corner. Kim's tacos were advertized in paint on the glass enclosing the outdoor-ish seating. After requesting two Kim's pork tacos to go, I sat down on the patio tables inside the glass enclosure and waited.

After a while, I began wondering if I'd been forgotten, and just then my order was ready.

I brought the bag home, all the while trying to stifle any thoughts of having a sore throat.


At home, I opened the bag and spread out the bag contents: 4x4" styrofoam container, the salsa in a Solo Cup, a small bag of chips, fork, and napkins.


First, I opened the salsa and smelled it. Whew! Potent with a smell I wasn't too sure I'd enjoy. Tasting it confirmed that I didn't particularly care for it.


And then I opened the styrofoam container to yield a vision of exquisite beauty: Korean-flavored tacos. Pork placed atop two corn tortillas, and covered with a Korean-spiced cole slaw-ish vegetably-salady mix.


I started in on one taco. The pork was obviously a very spicy daeji bulgogi that blended well with the flavors of the seasoned vegetable topping. Mmm, so good, even while my nose was running from the spicy heat. The second taco, while the tortillas were softened from humidity and juices, was freakishly good. The pork caused my nose to continue running even after I finished both tacos.

It's official: I'm in love with this taqueria and their Kim's tacos. Korean meat and spicy slaw atop corn tortillas? A simply perfect combination.

Two Kim's pork tacos: $3.89 out the door on the Visa. No AmEx taken here.

I was panhandled by a guy with a gas can as I was leaving with my chow. Since I don't tend to carry cash, wound up giving him some change from my truck. Hope he made it home ok.


0 comments: