Pages

Monday, December 27, 2010

Butternut Squash Twice-Baked Potatoes



I had some butternut squash cubes left from when I made the Moroccan Roast Chicken with Squash and Onions. Looking back on it, the entire squash could've been used in the chicken dish. Rather than waste the squash I searched some recipes and found something that would utilize the squash and not waste my time with fancy schmancy ingredients like fresh herbs.

Since my squash, about 2.5 cups, was already cubed I opted to roast the cubes while the potatoes baked. And since these were called twice-baked, I did that, as opposed to microwaved and broiled. Click the link below for the original recipe.

Twice-Baked Potatoes with Butternut Squash
adapted from Cooking Club of America

2.5 c cubed butternut squash
1 tbsp olive oil
4 large russet potatoes
1/4 c butter
1 tsp salt, or to taste
3/4 tsp dried sage, or to taste
1/4 tsp pepper, or to taste
milk

Preheat oven to 400°F.

Place potatoes in the oven; bake 60 minutes.

Twenty minutes after potatoes went into the oven, drizzle squash cubes with oil and shake to coat. Transfer the squash to a baking sheet.


Roast squash at 400°F 30-35 minutes, tossing ocassionally. Transfer squash to a large bowl.

I tell you to toss from hind-sight. I should've tossed.

Cut potatoes in half; remove flesh, keeping skins intact and reserving.

I thought it would be smart to just make four large potatoes. Dumb, really dumb.

Place flesh in bowl with squash; mash until smooth. Add butter, salt, sage and pepper; mash until blended.

The mixture was pretty pasty, so I added some milk (and a little bit more seasonings) by eyeball/taste.

Fill potato skins with squash mixture; bake in oven an additional 30 minutes until tops are browned (or broil 6 to 8 minutes until hot).


Meh, these were ok. I think I was overwhelmed by how freaking large one of my potatoes turned out to be and it thus wound up being a turn-off. Do yourself a favor by cutting the baked potatoes in half -- that is plenty enough for one serving as they are quite dense.

The quantity of seasonings, in my opinion, were lacking and required almost double what was called for. That might've been due to the fact that my squash was roasted, I'm not sure.

In the future, I might avoid the twice-baking and just make roasted squash-mashed potatoes. I thought that was pretty good anyway. 

Cost:
  • potatoes: $2.39
  • squash: $1.22
  • seasonings and milk, SWAG: $0.50
Total: $4.11, or $0.51 for each of 8 servings.

Click for the printable


0 comments: