Pages

Friday, December 24, 2010

Moroccan Roast Chicken with Squash and Onions

 

I had to do it. This is the recipe I compared the wonderfully delicious Chicken, Squash and Couscous with Moroccan Spices against. You know, the one I said got the crap kicked out of it. It was only fair that I revisit that one recipe for a closer side-by-side comparison.

Besides, my mom's here for the holidays so I figured I could make her something outside of her typical American or Korean cuisine. Her having dinner at 5 a.m. MI time wasn't quite a thrill to Mom, but that's how we roll. Vacation is all about getting into the swing of another environment, right? And Momma gets into the swing of things. Sometimes by subtle force.

Moroccan Roast Chicken with Squash and Onions
from Cooking Club of America

3 c cubed butternut squash (3/4 inch), about 1 1/2 lb.
2 c frozen pearl onions, thawed
4 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1/2 tsp salt, divided
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper, divided
2 tsp honey
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs
12 cilantro sprigs
1/4 c coarsely chopped cilantro

Heat oven to 450°F. Spray large roasting pan with nonstick cooking spray.

In large bowl, combine squash, onions, 2 teaspoons of the oil, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper; toss to coat.


In small bowl, stir together remaining 2 teaspoons oil, honey and lemon juice until smooth. Stir in paprika, cumin, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper.

Rub over chicken thighs.


Place cilantro sprigs in center of roasting pan; place chicken thighs over cilantro sprigs. Surround chicken with squash mixture.


Bake, uncovered, 35 to 40 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center, juices run clear and vegetables are tender, turning vegetables twice.

I neglected to turn the vegetables!

Serve sprinkled with chopped cilantro.

  1. I never said I was perfect
  2. This recipe does not suck
    1. It's actually pretty friggin' good!
      1. I'll certainly do this again
The vegetables turned out perfectly roasted even though I didn't turn them once. I actually liked the crispy, chewy edges of the squash. As for the chicken, it was a little well done, but I cooked mine longer than 40 minutes. I must have been delirious.

Really, it comes down to weather or not Israeli couscous is available. Or if you have a whole chicken versus a pile of boneless skinless chicken thighs. Or if you have 2 hours or are limited to one hour.

Because, really, both recipes are really good.

Click for the printable


0 comments: