Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Honey-Baked Chicken II

Plate piled-high with Honey-Baked Chicken

Always on the look-out for recipes that utilize whole chickens, I'd spied this one awhile ago. It's time to give it a spin.

Honey-Baked Chicken II
from All Recipes

1 (4.5 lb) whole chicken, cut into pieces
1/2 c butter, melted
1/2 c honey
1/4 c prepared mustard
1 tsp salt
1 tsp curry powder

Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).

Place chicken pieces in a shallow baking pan, skin side up.


Combine the melted butter or margarine, honey, mustard, salt and curry powder and pour the mixture over the chicken.


Bake in the preheated oven for 1 1/4 hours (75 minutes), basting every 15 minutes with pan drippings, until the chicken is nicely browned and tender and the juices run clear.

Chicken baked 15 minutes and basted.


Chicken baked 30 minutes and basted.


Chicken baked 45 minutes and basted.


Chicken baked 60 minutes and basted.


Chicken baked 75 minutes and transferred to a plate.


This chicken was pretty good as it was moist and quite flavorful. Personally though, I didn't care too much for the honey-shellacked skin or the effort required to achieve that effect. Remember, I prefer the stick-it-in-the-oven-and-forget-about-it method. Basting every fifteen minutes didn't thrill me. That said, if you have picky kids I bet they'll like this as it was like candied chicken.

Originally I planned to have this with crash potatoes and brussel sprouts. When push came to shove, I simply baked a potato alongside the chicken. Knowing what I know now, I'd have been best off having mashed potatoes as the residual pan drippings over them would be fantastic. FYI, I taste-tested those drippings for research purposes.

Cost:
  • chicken: $4.57
  • butter: $0.61
  • honey: $0.61
  • mustard: $0.25, SWAG

Total: $6.04 or $1.51 for each of four servings.

Click for the printable

0 comments: