Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Spicy Garlic Lime Chicken



Back in December I received this recipe courtesy of All Recipes' Daily Dish email. As the expense to make this dish would be toward nil because I have a serious spice rack happening, I opted to give it a go. When I'd cut the leg quarters from two whole chickens to the AL Backwoods BBQ Chicken, I'd cut boneless skinless breasts from the birds for this recipe.

Spicy Garlic Lime Chicken
from All Recipes

3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp dried parsley
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves

2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp garlic powder
3 tbsp lime juice

In a small bowl, mix together salt, black pepper, cayenne, paprika, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, onion powder, thyme and parsley.


Sprinkle spice mixture generously on both sides of chicken breasts.


Heat butter and olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat.


Saute chicken until golden brown, about 6 minutes on each side.



Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons garlic powder and lime juice. Cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently to coat evenly with sauce.



Allow chicken to rest 5 minutes and serve.



Wow, the chicken was looking and smelling great -- right until I sprinkled the garlic powder and lime all over it. OVERKILL in both departments. I scraped the excess garlic powder from the chicken breast just to make it palatable.

Maybe it would have helped if I spooned the pan juices over the chicken during the last few minutes of cooking instead of stirring and flipping it. Spooning the pan juices over the chicken might have served as a "rinsing" step.

Uh, you won't see me try it though. If I do try this recipe again, I'll skip the garlic and lime juice, making it Spicy Garlic Lime Chicken.

Cost:
  • chicken breasts from two whole chickens: $3.65
  • spices, oil and butter: $1, SWAG
Total: $4.65 or $1.16 for each of four servings.

Click for the printable


0 comments: