Pages

Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Complete Meat Cookbook and Larousse Gastronomique



Because I'm now completely enamored of Chef Bruce Aidells I was forced to find The Complete Meat Cookbook immediately. Many places declared a copy would ship in 1-5 days, but I wanted it NOW. I scored a 1998 copy in never-been-read-before condition for $15 from a place called The Bookman over in Orange. The Complete Meat Cookbook reads like a novel and has annectodal stories in it from both authors, Bruce Aidells and Denis Kelly, on top of the recipes. How stoked am I? Impossible to determine, off the charts.

While browsing around I also spied a 1984 copy of Larousse Gastronomique, the encyclopedia of French food. Noting that the 1984 edition had been updated to include foods of other cultures, I snapped it up for $15. I don't know how useful this tome will be, but it will be fantastic to peek into a history of food in alphabetical order and maybe even try out some of the included recipes for standard French fare and compare them with updated versions. Coq au vin immediately comes to mind.


0 comments: