Pages

Monday, May 30, 2011

Roasted Winter Vegetables


Roasted Winter Vegetables

5 carrots, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
1 celery root, trimmed well, cut into 1" pieces
1 lb boiling onions, peeled
2 small parsnips, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
3 small turnips, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
1/4 c olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 450°F.

Place vegetables in a large bowl.


Combine oil, vinegar and salt in measuring glass.


Toss the vegetables in oil mixture.


Spread the vegetables out in one layer on a baking sheet.


Roast about 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and somewhat caramelized.



This recipe is straightforward regarding prep and extremely simple in execution. The caramelized vegetables were tender and delicious. I really liked the boiling onions. I'm definitely going to make this again, though I'm not sure I'll utilize the celery root again.

While the celery root was quite fibrous because I hadn't trimmed it close enough, I'm not sure it really offered much to the dish. I would much prefer additional parsnips or turnips, or my favorite, the delicious adaptable potato. Of course, I'm biased by the fibrous rooty bits I'd apparently neglected to trim from that gnarly celery root.

Again, Aidells knocked it out of the park and I'm even more smitten with that man. There is definitely going to be more of his recipes seen here.

As I think of it, I realize that my last attempt at oven-roasting vegetables would've been better executed had I simply utilized a baking sheet instead of a 9x13" dish. Those vegetables were much too crowded to really roast, thus the oily texture. Thanks Chef Aidells! And yes, I'll follow up on this to be sure.

Cost:
  • carrots: $0.57
  • celery root: $1.59
  • boiling onions: $1
  • parsnips: $0.40
  • turnips: $0.45
  • rosemary: $1

Total: $5.01 or $1.25 for each of four small side servings.

Click for the printable

0 comments: