Pages

Monday, June 27, 2011

Spicy Southwestern Corn



Finding a good side, one that is going to be tasty but not time consuming is always a pain for me. I'm not sure why. This recipe was one of the latest in the last Cooking Club magazine. I thought it would go well with the Tequila-Lime Chicken so gave it a go.

One thing I changed was to omit the tablespoon of lime juice at the end of the recipe. I didn't want my meal to be too limey as I was already anticipating the chicken would be.

Spicy Southwestern Corn
adapted from Cooking Club of America

2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 poblano chile, chopped (about 1 c)
1 1/2 c corn kernels (2 to 3 ears)
1 small zucchini, chopped (about 1 c)
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot.


Cook and stir onion and chile 2 minutes.


Add corn and zucchini; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in chili powder, salt and pepper.



This stuff kicks ass in the delicious department and went exceptionally well with Tequila-Lime Chicken. I think this would serve well as a side to nearly anything and also as a topping on tacos or a filling in quesadillas! And what's killer is that outside of prep, it takes 10 minutes to cook up!

Cost:
  • onion: $0.28
  • poblano chile: $0.34
  • corn-on-the-cob: $1.47
  • zucchini: $0.58
Total: $2.67 or $0.67 for each of four servings.

Click for the printable


0 comments: