Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Lowcountry Spicy Shrimp



Here's a recipe from on older copy of Cooking Club magazine. I wasn't gung-ho about trying it the first few times I reviewed the recipe, but decided that because it's a quick one it's worth doing.

Lowcountry Spicy Shrimp
from Cooking Club of America
click to print

1/4 c unsalted butter
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp grated lime peel
1 lb. shelled, deveined uncooked medium shrimp (31 to 35 count)
3 tbsp chopped fresh Italian parsley
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1/4 to 1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce

Heat butter, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, lime juice and lime peel in large skillet over medium-high heat until bubbly.


Add shrimp; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until shrimp just start to turn pink, stirring frequently. Stir in all remaining ingredients; cook 1 minute or until shrimp turn pink.



Per the recipe suggestion, I served the shrimp over rice and am glad I did as the rice is a good vehicle for the buttery sauce, which was not on the excessive side. If you're worried about the heat factor, go light and add more after plating. Personally, I found that starting with 1/2 tsp would've worked well for me.

Will I do this again? Yep, for sure. Especially since outside of prep, the dish took less than 15 minutes to prepare.

Cost:
  • butter: $0.29
  • garlic: $0.25
  • lime: $0.18
  • shrimp: $7.50
  • parsley: $0.25
  • thyme: $1
TOTAL: $9.47 or $2.37 for each of 4 servings. But I got three servings, making it $3.16 each.


0 comments: