Pages

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Food Plan and Grocery List, 091711

I was on the phone last week while browsing the weekly store ads. I saw that rib eye steaks were on sale for $3.99/lb. My friend immediately asked me how much room I had in my freezer. None! Realizing I had three chickens in there from early March, I pulled one out to thaw in the fridge. If it didn't suffer freezer burn, the plan was to cook it.

Finding that chicken thawed in the fridge last night, it was sniffed all over -- if a chicken is pretty bad, you'll smell it before even cutting the plastic packaging. Finding no odor, I pierced the package and fortunately it smelled like normal chicken. Opening it further, I saw no signs of freezer burn.

The line-up this week:
  • Fried Chicken
  • mashed potatoes with buttermilk
  • roasted corn on the cob
And to maximize on the leftovers:
  • Mashed Potato Soup
  • Fried Chicken Salad(s)
  • Fried Chicken sandwich(es)

I shopped:
Target:
  • Lodge Logic 12" cast iron skillet: $18.99
  • Chef Mate splatter screen, a 2-pack: $12.69
  • TOTAL: $31.68 - 5% Red Card discount + sales tax: $32.43
Sprouts (formerly known as Henry's Market):
  • sourdough bread: $3.99/loaf
  • Brown Cow yogurt: $4.45/5 each
  • vegetable shortening: $6.99
  • garlic bulbs: $1/3
  • romaine lettuce: $0.88
  • iceburg lettuce: $.99
  • Yukon Gold potatoes: $2.07/3 lbs
  • corn on the cob: $1/4 ears
  • TOTAL: $21.29
Albertson's:
  • celery: $1.79

Grand Total: $23.08 on food, $32.43 on gadgets
Total for the year: $1044.04


0 comments: