Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Fresh Farm Raised Catfish

Last week I had planned on making some Pan-Fried Catfish Fingers, but Ralph's was out of catfish and since I don't know enough about fish to select a substitute I made pasta instead.

This week I went to Costco and, sure enough, they had a big ol' pack of catfish fillets.


The quantity was a half-pound more than what I was looking to buy, but it was available and pricing wasn't outrageous, so I picked it up.


Getting it home, I opened the pack and got ready to make some fingers.

Fresh farm-raised catfish available at Costco for $6.99/lb.

If you're interested, here's a paragraph about catfish (poisson-chat) from my Larousse Gastronomique:
An American freshwater fish that inhabits calm waters and is found principally in the Mississippi basin. It is 30-35 cm (12-14 in) long with scaleless stick blackish skin, a massive head with eight whiskerlike barbels around the mouth, and a second fatty dorsal fin. Despite its ugly appearance, the flesh is excellent and practically boneless. It can be prepared in the same way as trout or perch. 


0 comments: