Pages

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Lodge Cast Iron Breakfast


It might look sorta hideous -- the lighting is bizarre, but it sure tasted good.

I've read on a few sites that the authors'll cook just about everything in their cast iron but eggs. That's not what I wanted to hear. I look forward to having a cast iron skillet so seasoned that even eggs slip around in it because that'll mean I can get rid of my non-stick skillets. The place where the magic happens is tight on space with the recent cast iron acquisitions: enameled Dutch oven and skillet.

To get an idea of how well seasoned a seasoned-by-the-manufacturer seasoning is, I fired up the Lodge skillet and cooked some breakfast.

First, bacon to give me some and the skillet some natural lube.


Once cooked to my desire, I scooped out most of the fat and broke a couple of eggs into the skillet.


Once they looked about ready to flip, I flipped them (they sorta stuck a little) and added a mashed potato patty -- yep, just a patty formed from Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes.


When I thought it looked ready to flip, I flipped it and wished I had used a metal spatula to keep the brown stuck to the patty.


After it had crisped a little, the patty was plated and I scootched a spatula around the skillet. The crusties immediately came loose.


I am so close to telling this skillet I love it.


0 comments: