Pages

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Red Snapper



This red snapper and wild rice thing I've got going on was due to a friend's saying "some snapper and wild rice sounds good" compelling me to go on a recipe hunt. I chose a recipe found on a blog by a lady writing for Fabulous Friday. The photo of the fish looked great!

Not knowing how much "four fillets" actually is, I just went ahead and bought two fillets coming out at over a pound total. Looking back on it, I think the four fillets meant serving size fillets, as in 4-6 oz each.

Red Snapper
click to print

1 tsp grated ginger
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tbsp sesame oil
3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp honey
salt and pepper to taste
2 fillets red snapper

Combine the marinade ingredients in a large bowl.


Dip the fish fillets in the marinade, swishing to coat.


Heat a pan at medium high until hot. Place the marinated fillets in it.

Sometimes I wonder if I ever learn from what I've read or done. Here I should've really waited until the skillet was blazing hot. But adding both fillets, which take up the majority of the skillet leaving only little wiggle-room, too early caused them to sweat. And that means steaming rather than searing and browning.

Cook for 2 minutes per side to sear and brown the fillets.


Pour the remaining marinade in the skillet and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5-7 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.


Serve on a bed of Wild Blend Saute.


The snapper turned out pretty well, though it didn't turn out with such caramelization that Fabulous Friday's fish had going on. Hers was so well caramelized it looked like a piece of chicken.

There were a couple of technical issues on my part that I would definitely do differently in the future. I'd wait until the skillet was scorching hot. And maybe stagger the addition of fish to the skillet instead of essentially dumping them in simultaneously. I'd also have a plan for how to turn the fish so I there was no dilly-dallying. The time it took me to figure it out certainly lended it's hand to my fish becoming brown. Of course, all of these changed would likely be unnecessary if I'd used fillet pieces.

Still, I'd try it again as the fish did taste good. The marinade would probably go well on chicken too. For chicken, I'd probably marinate it a couple hours or longer rather than simply dipping it in the marinade.

Cost:
  • ginger: $0.15
  • garlic: $0.05
  • mustard: $0.27
  • pacific red snapper: $8.18

Total: $8.65 but we'll round up to $9 for oil, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper. That makes each of four servings $2.25.


0 comments: