Pages

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Wild Blend Saute



I had a pacific red snapper recipe picked out and had originally thought I'd do the wild rice dish on that site. Then I opted to try this rice dish instead.

Wild Blend Saute
adapted from the recipe on the back of the Lundberg Wild Blend Rice package
click to print

1 cup prepared Lundberg Wild Blend Rice (see below)
2 tbsp butter
1/2 small red bell pepper
1/2 c chopped celery
1 c sliced mushrooms
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tbsp teriyaki

Rice prep:
1 c Lundberg Wild Blend Rice
2 c water or broth
1 tbsp butter (optional)
salt to taste

Combine rice, water, and butter in a pot with tight-fitting lid. Bring to a boil. Stir once and cover.

Reduce heat to simmer and cook 50 minutes. Remove from heat, let stand covered for 10 minutes. Fluff with fork, salt to taste.

Mine was a little wet, but I think I uncovered it too early, as in almost immediately. I covered it and warmed it back up about another 10 minutes uncovered hoping to get the excess water out without burning the rice. It worked out pretty well.

In a skillet, saute vegetables and garlic in butter or oil over medium heat for 5-7 minutes.

Simmer until liquid is absorbed. Stir into the rice and serve.


Let me tell you what, I tasted the rice when it was ready -- before I added the sauteed vegetables -- and wow, this is a really good flavored and textured rice blend! It's not too "wild" but offers a little bit of wild-rice-ness with enough "regular" rice feel semi-Koreans like me are accustomed to chewing on. I'd definitely make this rice just to eat as a side without even feeling like it needs the hype of vegetable jazz.

Throw in the vegetables and it's just about good enough to eat as a main course, though a little kick (such as the teriyaki I chose to skip) would've rounded the dish out. Overall, a winner most certainly worth doing again.

Cost:
  • wild rice blend: $1.60
  • chicken stock/broth: $0.26
  • red bell pepper: $0.75
  • celery: $0.20
  • mushrooms: $2.50
  • red onion: $0.60
  • garlic: $0.05 
  • butter: $0.07
Total: $6.03. That makes each of four servings $1.51 or each of six servings $1.01.


0 comments: