Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Almiro Tawny Porto



The French Onion Soup recipe calls for some port. I didn't know port was even a wine, but sure enough, it is. Maybe Ralph's carries a decent port, but I couldn't find one. There were a couple of three dollar options but I was skeptical.

BevMo's selection wasn't vast, but this one caught my eye. I liked that it didn't cost $40.


I cut through the copper foil with the handy dandy foil-cutting-option of my corkscrew and rather than a cork spied a plastic cap. Twisting that block knob, I simply pulled the cork free.
 

Port is so red it's almost black. It doesn't smell bad either, by the way.


And now a couple exerpts word from Larousse Gastronomique:
One of the greatest dessert wines of the world. Port is a wine made from a variety of grapes blended together that has its fermentation arrested by the addition of brandy; according to exactly when the spirit is added, the resulting port varies in sweetness because of the natural grape sugar retained in the wine. 
White port, which can be dry, but in its cheaper versions may be sweetish, is made from white grapes and is drunk as an aperitif. Ruby port is a blend of young wines, full, fruity, and with the colour that gives it its name. Tawny ports are matured rubies and fine old tawnies are wines that have aged some years in wood and can achieve great quality.
I learned somewhere that because of the high sugar content of tawny ports it can be kept for quite a while in the fridge.
 
Almiro Tawny Porto, available in a 750 mL bottle at BevMo for $7.99.


0 comments: