Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Paradise Meadow Fresh Cranberries



I didn't know you could just buy a bag of fresh cranberries. My entire life I thought the majority of cranberries were made into juice; the rest formed into a weird jelly to be broken out at Thanksgiving.

These tart berries actually have some sugar in them. Guessing, it's the same quantity as a grapefruit.


Look how easy they are to use, freeze, and thaw. They're amazing!


Available in the produce section of Stater Bros. for $1.50 a 12-oz bag.

Looking it up in the Larousse Gastronomique, I learned the cranberry is called airelle in French. And that they are:
The red berry of any of several related shrubs of the genus Vaccinium. Cranberry sauce is a traditional accompaniment to roast turkey.
The mountain cranberry is found in heath and woodland in cold mountainous regions. Also known as lingonberry and cowberry, it is eaten mainly in Scandinavia and Germany.
The cranberries I purchased were packed here in the US, over there in Carver, MA. I imagine bogs like the Oceanspray commercials depict are where they are grown. The crazy thing though is that they are also known as lingonberries. I hunted for some of those awhile back and had no idea they were cranberries!


0 comments: