Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Leeks



Have you ever used leeks before? Not me. As usual, I looked them up in the Larousse Gastronomique after I bought them.

Apparently "the leek plant consists of a bulb and stem completely ensheathed by leaves forming a cylindrical shaft."

"Leeks must be bought when very fresh. They should be smooth with a good fresh colour and erect foliage." I did good there.


"To prepare, the roots and base are removed, then the green part is cut off and set aside."


"The white part must be washed several times and is then usually blanched in boiling salted water before further preparation."

So I rinsed my leeks pretty good and trimmed off more of the darker green part.


Cut in half and then in quarters, I saw there was dirt embedded right there in the cylindrical shaft.
T

The leeks were disassembled, swished in a large bowl of water, drained well, stacked up like thin celery stalks and chopped.


While I won't be using them, Larousse says the green leaves are usually used in stews and for purees. Maybe one day I'll do that.

Leeks, available in the produce section of Stater Bros. for $1.29/0.65 lb or two leeks. I can't recall if they were sold by the pound or priced for each.


0 comments: