Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Short Rib Ragout with Pasta



Here's that recipe using the leftover Boneless Short Ribs with Tomato and Fennel I've mentioned a couple times. It's so crazy simple and so delicious!

Short Rib Ragout with Pasta
from The Complete Meat Cookbook but also found here
click to print

leftover boneless short ribs (2 - 4), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 c leftover Tomato and Fennel Sauce
low-sodium beef or chicken stock, if needed
tomato puree, if needed
3/4 lb dried wide egg noodles
1/2 c freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Heat the short ribs in the sauce over medium heat.
   

If the sauce is too thick, dilute it with a little water or stock. If you don't have quite enough sauce (2 cups), add tomato puree as needed.

Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the noodles just until done.
  

Drain the noodles and put on a serving platter. Top with the ragout and sprinkle generously with the cheese.


A very simple remake of the original dish, it was different enough to feel like I wasn't eating the same thing warmed over. The sauce was most certainly better than it was day one, just as the recipe authors suggested. None of this will go to waste!

Plenty of sauce was leftover so I didn't have to add tomato paste; because I didn't reduce the original quantity of sauce when making the Short Rib recipe, it wasn't so thick that I had to thin it out with stock. As the sauce was so good anyway, I didn't feel that adding cheese was critical. I do wonder now whether it would've just made it crazy good! If you try it, be sure to let me know.

I nearly forgot: those egg noodles, being as old as they were weren't weird at all. 


0 comments: