Pages

Monday, March 12, 2012

Bourdain's Les Halles Dark Chicken Stock, Round 2



When the freezer is full of chicken pieces you wouldn't consider eating, it's time to make some stock. I did it just like last time, following Bourdain's directions, and yielded about 5 quarts of stock.

Here's a 9x13" baking dish loaded with bags of chicken frames and bony bits.


After rinsing and getting patted dry (I didn't go crazy with the drying), they were transferred to a greased baking sheet. I sprayed the sheet with olive oil from a Misto.


I had five frames, four whole thighs (I questioned their flavor as a main course since I couldn't remember where they came from), a bunch of broken leg bones, necks, and wingtips.


Roast chicken looks good even when it's just bones.


Can you tell which one of these frames was the one from when I did my first deboning a la Pepin?

It's the one on the left -- no skin on it at all!

Roast chicken and vegetables simmered with herbs all day.


Imagine how little fat would be skimmed from the pot if all of the frames were done a la Pepin?


Cheesecloth filters out the finest things, even what appears to be discolored liquid. This time I used four packages of cheesecloth, a total of 8 square yards -- a lot. I was a filtering fool.


Let it cool and put it in jars. Easy. It just takes more than 12 hours.


0 comments: