Pages

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Crunchy Curried Apricot-Lime Chicken Thighs



My track record with the chicken dishes hasn't been great lately. Maybe that's why I was compelled to do the Alabama BBQ chicken. It's a repeat winner no matter how I fiddle around with it. Expectations weren't high for this recipe, but I was pleasantly surprised.

While I bought the Full Circle apricot preserves for this, it turned out I had two tablespoons of the Hero brand left and that was just enough when the original recipe was halved.
click to print

2 tbsp apricot all-fruit preserves
1 large garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tsp lime juice
1 tsp grated lime peel
1/4 tsp coarse salt
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
4 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
1/2 c panko
1/2 tsp curry powder
2 lime wedges

Heat oven to 400°F. Line small rimmed baking sheet with foil; coat with cooking spray.


Stir preserves, garlic, lime juice and peel, salt and cayenne pepper in a shallow bowl until combined.


Stir panko and curry powder in small shallow bowl.


Coat chicken with apricot mixture; roll in panko mixture, pressing to coat completely.


Place on baking sheet; lightly coat chicken with cooking spray.


Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until no longer pink in center.


Serve with lime wedges.


This turned out to be a lot better than I'd expected! I wasn't sure how well I'd like the apricot-lime flavors on the chicken, especially when curry was in play, but that particular sweet-sour-curry was a great combination. Even a fresh citrus wedge, normally left to languish after the meal is complete, was squeezed over the chicken and the second wedge saved for the leftover pair of thighs.

Panko is a really great breading as it remains nice and crunchy, though very light. I won't lie. If you're big into eating crispy skin, panko isn't a perfect replacement: it's very nice substitution. I sort of missed the skin for a brief moment though got over it quickly.

A couple things I was thinking as I ate: apricot preserves have proven to be a great flavoring for chicken and pork, thus I should use it more often; why don't I eat more curry?

Quick, great flavors, and inexpensive makes it a win. Pairing it with the asparagus and mushrooms turned out to be genius.

Cost:
  • apricot preserves: $0.44
  • garlic: $0.10
  • lime: $0.22
  • chicken thighs: $1.53
  • panko: $0.15, SWAG
TOTAL: $2.44 or $1.22 for each of two servings.


0 comments: