Pages

Sunday, April 8, 2012

La Tourangelle Roasted Walnut Oil



Browsing around for walnut oil in the baking/oil aisle of Ralph's I spied a couple of options on the very top shelf.

Rather than buying the Made in France walnut oil, I opted for the local California oil which follows "the 150-year-old traditional methods of its French sister oil mill."


I like the little meter (in the image below) above the nutrition facts: it shows that the oil is suitable for medium-high heat so in addition to being good for dressings and drizzles it's good for baking and sauteeing. With luck I'll remember I have it and use it so I won't find this in my kitchen when I'm 80 along with miles of twine and hundreds of feet of parchment paper.


Unlike other oils such as vegetable or olive, this one keeps best in the fridge and comes with a nifty cap.


Pop out the little safety seal thingy and you've got a pour spout. Why don't all oils come with a pour spout like this instead of a gaping bottle mouth?


La Tourangelle Roasted Walnut Oil available in a 16.9 oz can at Ralph's for $10.99, making each tablespoon $0.32.

113012
When I was at Sprouts a couple days ago I happened by the oil section of the store. There is quite a variety of La Tourangelle oils offered there at a better price. 


0 comments: