Pages

Monday, May 28, 2012

Chutney Glazed Ribs



When I bought the mango chutney for the Baked Coconut Chicken recipe, I was glad to see other uses for it right there on the recipe card provided by the manufacturer. At least the chutney would have more than one use.

Chutney Glazed Ribs
adapted from the Bombay Brand Major Grey's Chutney recipe card
click to print

5 lbs pork sparerib slab
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1 large garlic clove, minced
3 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp paprika

Preheat oven to 400°F.

Trim and separate sparerib slab into serving size portions.

The membrane was removed, the skirt trimmed off, the ends squared and the pieces were cut into sections.

Arrange in a single layer on a large, shallow baking sheet. Season meat with salt and pepper.  

Roast uncovered one hour.

The tops were browned but the bottoms looked a little anemic after that one hour. Flipping them halfway through would have helped with even color.

Meanwhile, prepare chutney mixture by combining chutney, garlic, lemon juice, mustard, and paprika.


Discard drippings from baking sheet (or cheat by transferring ribs to another sheet). Baste ribs with chutney mixture.

Pieces transferred, browned sides basted, anemic sides basted.

Bake an additional 30 minutes or until ribs are tender and glazed, flipping halfway through.

Baked 15 minutes, flipped, and baked another 15 minutes.

Serve the ribs with some Curried Potato Salad, recipe coming up next.



These were just okay. I mean, the ribs tasted porky with some glaze on top. I see that doesn't exactly convey what I mean. What I mean is that the ribs I've made before were good because the seasonings, the flavorings, the pork enhancers, were cooked into the meat where the sweet, zingy flavoring was cooking onto this meat. Even when baking the ribs the first hour, I sort of had an idea of what I had was getting into just by the smell.

It was like taking a chicken breast, baking it, and then think that sprinkling some cheese on it is going to make it delectable. It won't. It will taste like a plain chicken breast with cheese on it. Seasonings and how you use them really make a tremendous difference in food. This wasn't tremendous, just kinda different. And they weren't very tender either, but maybe that's why the recipe says to bake..."until ribs are tender." I just went until they seemed glazed.

That said, I think the recipe has potential. The glaze is actually pretty good. It's just that the ribs need some jazzing during that first hour. How? I'm not quite sure about that yet. Any ideas?

FYI, my lack of tenderness might also have been contributed to the fact that I used 1.87 pounds more ribs than the recipe called for while using the quantity of glaze called for. Oh geez. I'm convinced I should try this again.

Cost:
Total: $14.05 or $2.81 for each of 5 generous servings.

0 comments: