Pages

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Sieves and Sifting Flour



My mind was set on buying one of those sifter things, the ones like a big measuring cup with the wires inside you turn with a crank on the side. Wandering through Chef's Toys, I could only find colanders. No sifters.


Asking the sales lady about them, she recommended this set of three sieves instead, saying they are more versatile, proposing shaking excess flour from chicken for frying as an example. I can see that happening. Sold.


After washing and drying each one thoroughly, I got started on the prep for the next cake.

The middle-sized sieve was placed over a large bowl.


A couple of cups of cake flour were dumped into the sieve.


And I shook the sieve about 30 seconds, trying to be careful about keeping it situated over the bowl. Look, it's flour chunks.


The chunks were returned to the cake flour stash, leaving this fine, fluffy, sieved cake flour from which I measured the necessary quantity for cake.


Set of sieves, about 7, 9 and 10" in diameter, available from Chef's Toys for $23 plus tax.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the difference in texture that you can so obviously see between the first picture and the last! My wife and I really love to bake together, and this week I learned the importance of sifting, but I learned it the hard way, haha. She has this amazing cookie recipe, and I decided to surprise her and make it while she was running errands. I was getting ready to put in the flour and saw that it called for sifting, but I ignored it and just put the flour in anyway. Now, the cookies weren't ruined, but they were in no way as sweet of a surprise as they would have been if I had paused to sift.
http://kason.com/Centrifugal-Screeners-Separators/