Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

Coach's Oats



I've been on an oatmeal eating kick for a few months now. My initial trials were a little goofy, but I've settled into an old-fashioned rolled oats-made-with-water-and-splash-of-milk-with-apples-and-cinnamon groove. And I love it.

There's plenty of blogs out there touting steel-cut oats and I don't pay too close attention to any of them. I don't like the idea of letting it sit out on my counter overnight to soak until edible. And the people who can prep a weeks worth and store it in the fridge and eat it cold? Uh, that ain't me, babe. Basically I'm too lazy and picky for steel-cut oats.


When I priced oats at Costco, this shiny bag caught my eye. Intrigued I checked it out. It's just whole grain oats. And look at the fiber! Gold mine! Wait, that's not different than any regular rolled oats.


If you read the bag though, it doesn't say anything about improving the qualities of oats, just the texture. The Coach was anti-mushy oats. I can appreciate that. The promise is "hearty steel-cut texture in 5 minutes!"

Opening the bag, I laughed. It looks like animal feed. I've lived a sheltered life, having only ever seen rolled oats. At this point I wondered if steel-cut texture would be like eating softened gravel.


To make one serving in the microwave:
Add 1/3 cup Coach's Oats to 1 cup water in a large microwaveable bowl (about 1 quart bowl to allow for expansion). Cook on 70% power for about 4 minutes.* Stir and let stand 1 minute.
*Time and cooking power may vary depending on microwave.
Coach's Oats, available at Costco in a 4.5 lb bag for $6.39, making each of the 51 1/3-cup servings about $0.13.

0 comments: