Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough



By this time I've eaten quite a few handfuls of chocolate chips straight from the bag. I mean, lots. Pounds. So it made sense to prepare some cookies. But it was so freakin' hot, I didn't get around to the baking part.

I considered skipping this post. It's a little embarrassing. But I've posted everything I've made in my kitchen since the end of 2009. I'm not going to start picking and choosing what goes up on this joint now. And maybe someone out there who has cookie troubles will get something out of it.

Not sure if the directions changed over the years or what, but I prep the dough a smidge differently than instructed. The following is how I do it.

Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
from Very Best Baking

2 1/4 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 c butter, softened (normal, not 90°F, room temperature)
3/4 c granulated sugar
3/4 c packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs (normal, not 90°F, room temperature)
2 c NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
1 c chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 375° F.

Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl.


Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy.

I cream the butter, then beat in the white sugar (because I use the same 1/4 measuring cup to measure both sugars; the white doesn't "contaminate" the brown), then once that's all nice and fluffy, I beat in the brown sugar and vanilla.

Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.


Gradually beat in flour mixture.

Flour is beaten into the dough one half at a time. If you have a stand mixer, "gradually" might be an option.

Stir in morsels and nuts.


By this time it was pushing 11 p.m. and had to be 90°F in my kitchen. I hadn't even preheated the oven. I plopped the dough into the one gallon plastic container my last batch of Breyer's ice cream came in, originally washed for recycling, with the intention of baking the cookies the following night (the 10th) using these directions:
Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets. BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Instead, it was still freaking craZy hot and so I started eating the cookie dough. Better than that, I started eating it on ice cream. Every single day.

This is day 5. So pretty!

For 10 days*, when there was none left to bake.


And it was good.

Cost:
  • all-purpose flour: $0.30
  • butter: $1.02
  • granulated sugar: $0.16
  • brown sugar: $0.39
  • vanilla extract: $0.08
  • eggs: $0.90
  • chocolate chips: $1.92
  • nuts: $1.40
Total: $6.17.

*At one time, Rodney believed I have an "iron gut", impervious to, well, anything. I am in no way recommending you eat 10-day-old cookie dough or that you should eat cookie dough as a part of your daily diet. Nestle recommends storing the refrigerated dough UP to one week or freezer to 8 weeks.

0 comments: