Pages

Monday, September 3, 2012

Spanish Chicken with Chorizo and Potatoes



Yonetta had this recipe pinned and as I type this now, she's got it pinned a second time. It's no wonder since Pick Yin's photos just look great. One day I'll have a kitchen with skylights for a ceiling and glass blocks for walls. Until then I'll always remember to use something fresh to garnish my meals for a little visual kapow!, meanwhile insisting I'm going for a plain, darker, rustic look.

A lot of adapting occurred to make this one. Since it's just me, I went for simplicity in chicken pieces, using dark meat quarters from four birds rather than buying a pack of 12 thighs. I guess that doesn't sound as simple as it seems in my mind. Some of the masses were metric and I've Americanized them, adjusting quantities to coordinate with the lesser amount of chicken. The method  though is the same.

Spanish Chicken with Chorizo and Potatoes
adapted from Life is Great
click to print

1.5 tbsp regular olive oil
salt to taste
8 chicken thigh and leg pieces (bone in, with skin)
1.25 lbs chorizo sausages, whole if baby ones, or cut into 4-cm chunks if regular-sized
2 lbs baby potatoes, half the larger ones
1 red onions, peeled and roughly chopped
2 tsp dried oregano
one orange, for zest

Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place oil on a baking sheet.


Rub the skin of the chicken in the oil, season with salt accordingly, then turn them skin-side up.


Add the chorizo and new potatoes to the chicken.


Sprinkle the onion and the oregano over the chicken, chorizo and potatoes.


Grate the orange zest over the arranged contents baking sheet.


Cook for 30 minutes and baste the pan contents with the orange-colored juices.


Continue cooking for about 20-30 minutes or until chicken is done.



Preparing this dish was exceptionally painless and since it happens in one dish clean-up is a cinch. Unfortunately, and unexpectedly, it didn't rock my world. A little on the bland side, you really are relying on flavorful, fresh ingredients and maybe more seasonings than what I'd used. Pick a chorizo you adore, use fresh oregano and more zest.

I really should've made a side or two dish to go along with this. I can't believe I'm going to say this but the meat to potato ratio was too much.

Cost:
  • olive oil: $0.06
  • chicken thighs and legs: $2.63
  • chorizo: $4.49
  • baby potatoes: $2.99
  • red onion: $0.65
  • orange: $0.58
Total: $11.40 or $1.90 for each of six servings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi...nice recipe...I was wondering what type of chorizo did you used? From your pictures & price, it seems like it is Mexican chorizo. I'm going to recreate your recipe but replace it w/ chorizo from Spain & I'll also use Spanish pimenton. Thanks a lot for this recipe...looks easy/fast.

The Cook said...

Yep, I did use Mexican chorizo. The dish is fast and easy to assemble - most of the time is waiting for it to roast. Come back and let me know how it turns out with the Spanish chorizo and pimenton!