Pages

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Kirkland Chocolate Chips



Costco offers their own brand of semi-sweet chocolate chips now. It was in my cart before I had a chance to decide whether or not I wanted it. Certainly, I didn't have a plan to use them.


The ingredients, if you can't read it even after clicking the photo:
Chocolate Liquor, Sugar, Soy Lecithin (an emulsifier), and Vanilla.
Yeah, 4 ingredients. Four. And the first one is chocolate, unlike sugar found as the primary ingredient in the other brands. As far as I'm concerned that puts these chips in the fancy chocolate category.

Yep, they taste different from my usual brand. It's gotta be that they use liquor, like that other store brand. I'm not sure, but I think these actually have more snap than my usual too. Or maybe that's because the apartment is frigid.


This is one change I'm happy to make permanent.

Kirkland Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, available in the baking aisle at Costco for $6.99 a 3.5 lb bag.
That makes each of 9.3 cups about $0.75 each, beating the Nestle price by about $0.08. Incredible, the cost of marketing.

2 comments:

Bud said...

What is chocolate liqueur?

The Cook said...

Sorry for the delay, Bud. Let me look...Ok, so my 1984 edition of the Larousse Gastronomique doesn't tell. But wiki says of "chocolate liquor" that it's the liquid form of pure cocoa, containing equal amounts of cocoa solids and cocoa butter, where the cocoa beans have been fermenteed, dried, roasted and separated from their skins, before they're ground into cocoa paste which is melted to yield the liquor.

Now, to be more precise, your question was of chocolate "liqueur". And that, my friend, would be an alcoholic beverage tasting of chocolate. I'm pretty sure Godiva has one readily available at just about anystore in anytown of anycountry.