Pages

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Kraft Caramels



It's been a long time since I searched the candy aisle for anything. I had to recruit help to find caramels among a plethora of other candies. It didn't help I was looking for the other brand (which has totally changed it's look since I last saw it).


I remember really loving caramels when I was a kid - so incredibly creamy and sweet! Unwrapping each one was a pleasure. I distinctly remember unwrapping piles of them at my grandma's house, helping my aunt make another exciting dessert. It's a wonder Barb never hauled off and hit me for eating most of what I unwrapped.


These particular caramels were sort of plastic-y. I'm not sure if it's because they're Kraft and are made primarily of corn syrup or if I'm just not a kid.


And unwrapping an entire package of these was a little tedious. Making caramel can't be hard, can it?


And of course, there's a recipe for caramels in the ol' Larousse Gastronomique! Next time, I'll have this in mind.

So we're clear, caramels are
Sweets, often square-shaped, made from a mixture of sugar, cooked glucose syrup, and dairy products (milk, butter, or cream), plus vegetable fats and flavourings. There are various types - hard and soft caramels, fudge, hopje, and toffee - depending on the composition, degree of cooking, shape, and flavour. The French town of Isigny, famous for its milk, also makes famous caramels.
I don't know anything about famous caramels from Isigny, but I can tell you that some mean fudge is made back home in MI.

Kraft Traditional Caramels, available in the candy aisle of Ralph's for $2.50 a 14-oz bag.

0 comments: