Pages

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Roman Cucina Veal Ravioli with Peas and Mushrooms



We had a celebratory dinner after work last night at a place called Roman Cucina. I'd never been there before since they aren't open during lunch hours and I'm a hermit at night.


Their menu is pretty extensive, which means I take a century making my selection, as if the world will explode if I don't choose the "correct" option. It's crazy.


I wound up getting the special, which was a veal ravioli in a cheesy white sauce with peas and mushrooms. This was a first for me in many ways.


Ravioli that didn't come out of a can? Check. Ravioli with meat in it? Check. Veal? Check.


It was incredibly rich and tasty, even the second half reheated in the oven. What was most surprising is how different veal is from beef. I'll be honest, it was good, but I don't think I'll be shopping for veal to make at home. I can't help but think of how calves willingly, naively, suck your finger(s) if you offer them and they'll look at you all the while with mile-long eyelashes lining huge, glistening orbs of innocence.

Of course, I can't say that I am ruling it out entirely. Calves aren't baby pandas. 

0 comments: