Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Cheese and Corn Arepas



Here's the second side in the Latin menu.

Cheese and Corn Arepas
adapted from Bon Appetit, January 2000, and found at Epicurious
click to print

3/4 c yellow cornmeal
1/3 c grated Monterey Jack cheese
3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 c boiling water
2/3 c frozen corn kernels, thawed

Finely grind cornmeal in blender, 1/4 cup at a time. Transfer to large bowl.

I'm not sure the food chopper actually did anything to grind the cornmeal. Next time I'll try the blender as recommended.

Add in cheese, 2 tablespoons butter and salt.

You're supposed to stir the cheese, butter, and salt into the meal, then add water metering how much you need to make the desired batter thickness. I just went ahead and dumped the water in as I didn't know how thick was thick enough.

Add enough boiling water to mixture to make very thick batter.


Stir in corn.


Heat griddle or large skillet over medium heat with some of remaining melted butter.


Working in batches and using 1 tablespoon batter for each corn cake, drop batter onto skillet and cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.


Serve hot.


These were cute little cakes. Dad said they were "like Johnnycakes" and looking them up on Wiki, see that they are indeed just like johnnycakes or hoecakes and very similar to yaniqueques depending on where you are. I preferred this side dish over the squash since these offered a reprieve from the spice. The cheese and corn were good additives; I imagine the cakes would be quite bland without them.

Would I make these again? I can definitely see myself doing that if tortillas of some sort won't be on the table.

Cost:
  • yellow cornmeal: $0.19
  • Monterey Jack cheese: $0.58
  • unsalted butter: $0.18
  • frozen corn kernels: $0.50
TOTAL: $1.45 or $0.12 for each of 12 arepas. I guess my eyeballed tablespoons were twice the size they should've been.

0 comments: