Pages

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Latin Spice Mix



I bought a copy of Bon Appetite back in December 1999 because I was enthralled with the cover photo. It's the magazine that had the insanely good pie recipe in it. There are a couple of menus in that magazine and wouldn't it be nice if I did a whole menu?

This mix is utilized in a few of the menu recipes. Realizing after I brought it home that the coriander seed I'd purchased was ground, I was forced to adapt.

Latin Spice Mix
adapted from Bon Appetit, January 2000 and found at Epicurious
click to print

1/4 c cumin seeds
3 tbsp whole black peppercorns
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp sea salt

Combine cumin and peppercorns in heavy medium skillet.


Stir over medium heat until beginning to toast, about 5 minutes. Add coriander and remove from heat once fragrant, about 3 minutes.


Cool slightly. Finely grind toasted spices in blender.


Transfer to small bowl. Mix in sugar and salt.


It smells awesome!! I have no idea how to price this.

0 comments: