Pages

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Coastal Range Organics Chickens Parted Out



I bought a couple of chickens for a couple of meals. I'm not sure I'm over the price of these chickens, but I think it's still the right thing to do.


I needed to part the birds into the pieces called for in the recipes I've selected. This would be a perfect time to practice Jacques Pepin's technique of deboning a chicken again.

Rinse and pat dry the birds. The drier they are, the easier to handle.


Chicken number 1, went from whole into the pieces I wanted in 14 minutes. Still nowhere close to Pepin.


Chicken number 2, whole to pieces in 16 minutes. What?! I got slower?


I'll skip the photos, but here's the price per piece breakdown:

  • 4 boneless skinless breasts: 2 lbs 2.7 oz comes to $5.40
  • 4 tenderloins: 7.9 oz comes to $1.23
  • 4 wings: 1 lb 2 oz comes to $2.80
  • 4 bone-in skin-on thighs: 2 lbs 2.7 oz comes to $5.40
  • 4 drums: 1 lb 8.1 oz comes to $3.75
  • 2 frames: 2 lbs 9.3 oz comes to $6.43

That comes out to $25.01 for parts I'll use; the rest, $3.80, was on giblets and skin which went into the trash.

Coastal Range Organics Young Chickens available in a 2-pack at Costco for $2.49/lb.

0 comments: