Pages

Monday, April 15, 2013

Coastal Range Organics Young Chickens, 3



The first two times I bought this brand of bird, I found something wrong with the packaging. The first time one of the staples wasn't stapling the bag shut and the second time one of the bags had a hole in it. This time, I'm happy to report that the packaging is not at all defective. And the price hasn't increased.


Instead of working on my taxes like a good citizen, I rinsed and dried the birds before carving them up using Pepin's technique and bagging them.

Whole legs, packaged in bags of two, come in at 2 lbs and 10.8 ounces.


Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, packaged in bags of two, come in at 1 lb and 9.7 ounces.


Wings, tips removed, packaged in a bag of four, come in at 14 ounces exactly.


Four tenderloins come in at 6 ounces exactly.


Two chicken frames and wing tips come in at 2 lbs and 2.9 ounces.


That's a total of 7.71 lbs, making the waste (skin and fat) a total of 1.17 lbs.

Coastal Range Organics Young Chickens available at Costco* for $2.49/lb.

*Note: when I was at Costco most recently (January 2014), there was no Coastal Range Organics products to be found. I'm not yet sure if that was just a short-term thing limited to one store or if it's something more than that. 

0 comments: