Pages

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Pumpkin Toffee Cookies, Gluten Free



I don't remember exactly how I found this cookie recipe, but the photos had me drooling. The cookies looked scrumptious and the recipe was straightforward. This is the reason for my toffee bit making endeavors. I could've bought the bits but what fun is that?

The original recipe specifies using a stand mixer and I don't have one. I used my hand mixer instead. And instead of regular all-purpose flour, I went gluten-free with Pamela's.

Pumpkin Toffee Cookies, Gluten Free
adapted from two peas & their pod

3 c Pamela's Artisan Flour Blend
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 c granulated sugar
1 c pumpkin puree
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 c toffee bits

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and salt.


In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until creamy, about 3 minutes.


Add the pumpkin, egg, and vanilla extract; beat until smooth.


Add in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.

The original recipe, assuming use of a stand mixer, says to gradually add the flour mixture. Well, that means I do it in batches.

Stir in the toffee bits.


Using a cookie scoop or spoon, drop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet, about 1 inch apart.


Bake 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges and set.


Cool cookies on the baking sheet for two minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.


The fact that the cookies didn't spread at all means there's way too much flour. The cookies were cooked and tasted fine, but cookies should be flat! This was my first time making gluten-free cookies, so I'm not sure if the recipe is wonky or if the flour is to blame. Gluten-free flour does tend to make the dough a lot more viscous, but for cakes it always seems to work out anyway. I need to make a control batch with regular flour to find out.

Toffee in cookies is awesome, by the way!

Cost:
  • Pamela's Artisan Flour Blend: $3
  • unsalted butter: $0.54
  • granulated sugar: $0.30
  • egg: $0.30
  • vanilla extract: $0.08
  • toffee bits: $0.64
Total: $4.86 or about $0.12 for each of 41 cookies.

0 comments: