Pages

Monday, May 27, 2013

Classic Calabacitas



Looking for sides to accompany the chicken, I turned to my cookbooks. I wanted something with a Mexican flair, so perused The Border Cookbook and this recipe caught my eye. Having done a non-classic version of calabacitas and thought it superb, this one was a shoe-in. While I had my doubts, I needed to find out how this would compare.

Classic Calabacitas
adapted from The Border Cookbook
click to print

2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp vegetable oil
5 c sliced zucchini and summer squash (about 2 lbs)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 c corn kernels
1/2 c chopped roasted Anaheim chile
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground canela
4 green onions, sliced
2 tbsp cilantro, minced

Warm the butter and oil in a large skillet over medium heat.


Add the squash and onion; saute for 10 minutes or until well wilted.


Stir in the corn, chile, salt, and canela. Cook, covered, another 10 minutes.


Add the green onions and cilantro; heat through.


Serve immediately.



I didn't think I'd much care for this calabacitas since I really, really, really liked the non-classic version I'd made last summer. It's not bad though. The cinnamon is really interesting and I don't mean that in a sarcastic eye-roll sort of a way. It contrasts and compliments the squash very nicely. Next time though the biggest skillet will be utilized and the squash won't be cooked quite as long - I prefer my squash to have a resistance to the teeth. And I might use more chile. That said, I'm not absolutely confident there will be a next time. I did like the other version very much.

Cost:
  • butter: $0.14
  • vegetable oil: $0.12
  • zucchini and summer squash: $2
  • onion: $0.30
  • corn: $1.40
  • Anaheim chile: $0.45
  • green onions: $0.50
  • cilantro: $0.25
Total: $5.16 or about $0.86 for each of six servings.

0 comments: