Pages

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Nutella Banana Bread, Gluten-Free



With some frozen bananas donated from coworkers I looked for a bread recipe. Yonetta has a couple of Nutella banana breads pinned so I thought I should give one of those a go. I liked the idea of this one because of the two it looked more swirled. Sure, I judged by the photos. For whatever reason I'm a sucker for a swirl. Not a swirlie, swirls. Since I don't get frenzied over bananas, a gluten-free option so I could share at work was in order.

Nutella Banana Bread, Gluten-Free
adapted from Baking with Basil
click to print

2 1/3 c Pamela's Artisan gluten-free flour blend
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 c mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
6 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 c Nutella

Butter a 9-inch loaf pan. Preheat oven to 350°F if using a metal pan, 325°F if using a glass dish.


In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.


In a large mixing bowl, beat together banana, butter, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla until combined, about 2 minutes.


Beat in eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated.


Beat in flour mixture just until combined.



Transfer 1/3 of batter into a separate bowl.


In a small glass bowl, heat Nutella in microwave for about 15 seconds and stir.


Stir warmed Nutella into reserved third of batter.


Place 1/2 of banana batter in loaf pan, spread evenly. Add layer of Nutella batter, add layer of banana batter. Using a knife, gently swirl batter.

The batter was so thick, I just blobbed it in rather than trying to get it in layers.

Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into bread comes out with a few crumbs.


Cool on a wire rack about 30 minutes; remove from dish and cool completely.


Yeah, so my bread didn't turn out with the swirls I was so enamored of. Gluten-free batters tend to be thicker than non-gluten-free batters and I hadn't considered that when layering the batter portions. Had I a little more patience, I could've made it work but as it turns out, it wasn't that important to me.

Otherwise, the bread turned out just as expected, banana flavored with a hint of chocolaty nuttiness. None of the bread went to waste at work though one slice was enough for me.

Cost:
  • Pamela's flour: $2.25
  • unsalted butter: $0.42
  • sugar: $0.20
  • brown sugar: $0.15
  • vanilla extract: $0.08
  • eggs: $0.61
  • Nutella: $2
Total: $5.71 or about $0.48 for each of 12 slices.

0 comments: