Pages

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Pommes en Croute de Sel



While a pork roast was doing it's thing, I prepped these potatoes. I went with this because Russet potatoes, I had a few pounds of rock salt left and it looked really simple.

Pommes en Croute de Sel
from Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles Cookbook

2 egg whites
1 lb (about 1.5-1.75 c) rock salt
4 Russet potatoes

Preheat the oven to 400°F.

Whisk egg whites to soft peaks in a large bowl.


Add the rock salt and mix well.


Place the potatoes in a dish large enough to hold them in a tight configuration, a gratin dish or pie plate. Cover the potatoes with the egg white and salt mixture.


Bake for one hour.


Break the crust and serve the potatoes immediately.



Breaking the crust was fun. At first. After the tops of the potatoes were exposed, I pulled the potatoes out of the dish and cooked egg white was stuck to some of the potatoes. Quite a bit of wiping and brushing was required to remove the big salt and egg chunks off. And some of skin came off a couple of the potatoes. I think I should've let the washed potatoes dry completely before covering them with the salt mix.

The skins that did stay on the potatoes was tasty. Maybe because I'm a dirty rotten smoker, I couldn't really tell the difference between these and a regular baked potato. Maybe they were a little more moist but nothing exceptional. Still, a neat recipe. The leftover potatoes = American fries.

Cost:
  • egg whites: $0.61
  • rock salt: $0.57
  • Russet potatoes: $1.77
Total: $2.95


0 comments: