Pages

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Baked Oatmeal



Looking through some chicken recipes on my blog, I followed a source link and found a blog called Happy Healthy Cook which led me to Alosha's Kitchen, which is the food archives for Happy Healthy Cook.

Anyway, so I'm in the middle of the Happy archive and after hearing about how bad ass this baked oatmeal is I have to try it. HAVE to. I mean, cakey-cookiey-oatmeal goodness? The way  Melissa talks about this breakfast treat it'd be a serious shame not to try it at least once.

Wandering further, I went to her source and made some of my own adaptations: substituting some of oats with Coach's Oats out of necessity and adding dates. Fruit in oatmeal is the only way to go in my opinion.

Baked Oatmeal
adapted from Foodie with Family, found through Alosha's Kitchen
click to print

2 tbsp butter
2 1/2 c old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 c Coach's Oats
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c brown sugar
1/2 c sliced almonds
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 c whole milk
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 c dates, chopped

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Place the 2 tablespoons butter in an 8x8" baking dish and melt the butter in the oven while it preheats, pulling the dish out after about 5 minutes. Tilt the dish and let the butter coat it about evenly.


Meanwhile, combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.


Whisk together the eggs, milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract in a separate bowl.


Add the egg mixture to the oats and combine until moistened throughout. Stir in the dates.


Transfer to the dish with the melted butter.

I was compelled to pat mine down.

Bake for 30 minutes or until edges are golden brown.



First off, you have to put cream of some sort on the oatmeal. Do it. It's a little dry otherwise, probably because I subbed some of the regular rolled oats with Coach's Oats. The addition just puts this over the top, just a fantastic recipe. The edges of the oatmeal are just the slightest of crispy while the interior is tender but not mushy. Get that? The oatmeal is not mushy! The rolled oats lay flat against each other, making little tiny oat sandwiches, resulting in a flaky, delightful texture throughout.

Tonight, after having made the oatmeal, I read this on Melissa's tumblr:
I swear I will keep posting my breakfasts until everyone at least makes the baked oatmeal. I’m the baked oatmeal evangelist. It’s too good not to share.
Cost:
  • butter: $0.14
  • old-fashioned rolled oats: $0.50
  • Coach's Oats: $0.18
  • sugar: $0.10
  • brown sugar: $0.08
  • sliced almonds: $0.74
  • eggs: $0.62
  • milk: $0.35
  • maple syrup: $0.50
  • vanilla extract: $0.08
  • dates: $0.54
Total: $3.83 or about $0.64 for each of six hearty servings.

0 comments: