Pages

Monday, June 17, 2013

Coastal Range Organic Young Chickens, 5



I still debate internally whether I'm crazy for buying these birds. Recently I heard something while watching some more Gordon Ramsay clips on YouTube and it stuck.

Danny Lidgate, award winning master butcher:
I think people should maybe buy less meat but aim for the best quality. You're only going to get out what you're going to put in. By putting the best quality into a dish, you're going to get the best results.
That's not a novel concept entirely. I've heard repeatedly that I should be buying the best quality ingredients. For years I always thought it was impossible; how could I buy the best of everything? It'd be unaffordable!


When I sit back and think about it, I have been, over the years of maintaining this blog, gradually doing just that very thing, just one item at a time. Shifting from dried herbs to fresh, fresh-ground instead of pre-ground pepper, selectively choosing more expensive and higher quality cheeses, cage-free (and sometimes organic) eggs, choice beef instead of select. Granted, I'm not springing for caviar and Parmigiano-Reggiano...yet. It's been a gradual process. I have a better appreciation for the food I eat plus I enjoy preparing and eating it a lot more than I used to when almost everything came out of a jar or can.

So why do I still wince a little when it comes to these chickens? Buy the best if it means buying less. Maybe it's because they come in a two-pack. Regardless, I've decided (again?) that I'm all in. Organic birds. Period.

Coastal Range Organic Young Chickens available in the meat/poultry/seafood section at Costco for $2.49 a pound.

0 comments: